Sunday, September 08, 2013

Sunday goodness

Someone forgot to tell the city that the library would be open on Sundays again, starting this week. The front door wouldn't open from the outside.  We tried propping it open but the automatic door crushed the recycle box. I made a sign for people to enter through the garden doors at the back.  It's amazing how many people didn't read the sign. I was more entertained than I should have been by that.

A gentleman came in and rented Six Feet Under. It was his second time watching that fantastic series. He said I made his day when I said the ending of that series was the extremely well-written.  The writers were true to the theme, characters and story of that show. Hands down, it's the best series end of any show on television. The man was so thrilled I couldn't help but wonder if he was one of the writers.

I've been working on family photos for what feels like forever.  Some of the photos are over 100 years old.  It's interesting that people who were younger then than I am now look so much older. Times really have changed. I had a great chat with one of my cousins tonight on Facebook.  Some of us have been connecting that way more often.  We're a little far-flung so the Internet has been a wonderful tool for us to stay in touch. It's much better than the old days. The newspaper notice of my great-grandparents wedding in Newcastle, England had a directive for Canadian and New Zealand papers to carry the announcement.  I didn't know we had New Zealand relatives.

In keeping with the family tradition theme, we had roast beef for dinner tonight. That always makes me think of my paternal grandparents.  It wasn't burnt like Grandma used to make, thank goodness. I was a teenager before I realized my grandpa didn't like his food burnt to a cinder but that he had made the best of my grandma's horrible cooking. He always said carbon was good for the heart. And that, ladies and gentleman, is where I get the need to always look for a silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment