Sunday, March 27, 2011

Alternate career

I want to run away and join an animal sanctuary. I can feed baby elephants whose mothers have been killed. I can clean lion pens. Groom camels.

I want to be a documentary filmmaker and travel the world recording everything from the mating habits of the dung beetle to the effect of granola bars on the global economy. I want to study big issues, and small ones.

I want to be a dancer - to glide across the floor with beauty and grace.

I want to be an accomplished piano player. Someone who can change the mood of a room with the stroke of a key.

I want to be a marine biologist and study narwhals. Or squid. Or plankton.

There are so many things I'd like to do with my life that I have neither talent nor training to do. That's why reading books and watching documentaries are so wonderful. They can take me to those worlds, put me in those jobs or lifestyles. They expand my narrow view of the world. And sometimes I learn something new to keep with me in this life I currently live.

What skill or talent do you wish you had?

5 comments:

  1. I am so relating to your post. I think about "alternate careers" also.

    I would love to be an actress. I was told in high school drama class that I was too shy, my voice didn't carry. But there was this amazing rush of being on stage (even if I was scared), of being someone else. I enjoyed being in character and not the "shy girl".

    Or a teacher...I a few wonderful teachers who I admired and remember fondly. It would be nice to think that something I had taught, had a positive effect on another person's life. That would be rewarding.

    I get inspired by different things...if I go to an art gallery, I see the amazing paintings...I long to paint. I watch Project Runway - I long to design clothes.

    There is so much to be inspired by.

    Cheers,
    Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acting! Thanks, Kimmie for the reminder. I had a fantastic summer when I was 17 at the Charlottetown Film Festival. I learned how to do the sword dance and LOVED it. I wasn't on stage much but still, there was something about taking on a different persona.

    I think you found the key There is so much to be inspired by

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to be a Horse Whisperer. I've always wanted to be around horses.

    I'd like to be a choreographer. I love the art of dance.

    I'd like to be a caretaker in a library, so I could have it all to myself at night.

    I'd like to be a photographer and go on a walk-about.

    p.s. You ARE a filmmaker. Go do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to be able to draw better--to be able to sketch things quickly. Maybe not enough for a whole career, but just to amuse myself, to illustrate my stories, to draw my cats better, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. London Mabel - some days I can paint gorgeous flowing watercolours and other days I can't draw a stick figure. But I am amused :) Keep trying. Maybe you should try another medium

    ReplyDelete