Sunday, November 22, 2009

Computer vacation

I've taken a serious vacation from my computer the past week. I've been editing on hard copy. There's something about all the handwritten words scribbled in purple all over the neatly typed pages. It's a visual cue that the story is gaining substance. While I still haven't settled onto one project, progress is being made on both fronts.

I don't know about you but when so much is going on inside my head, I get quieter. I can chitchat with the best of them but once it's time to get down to work, I do it. Less time is spent in my own conversations when I'm listening to my characters. I used to process out loud. The sound of my own voice often led me to some interesting insights.

I'm not sure what changed but lately I need silence. I need the peace that comes from the hearing pen scrape across the page. The crisp Autumn air fills my lungs, the rain splashes against the leaves and my brain gets to work. Perhaps it's the continued mild weather. Perhaps it's the noise in the rest of my life. Whatever caused this new working method, I have no real desire to examine it too closely. It's working. I'll switch it up if this stops.

In the meantime, don't expect much in the way of profound thoughts. I'm distracted with the work in front of me.

1 comment:

  1. What I expect from you? Woman, I am holding you to a high standard.
    I truly expect that you are capable of writing -- and submitting -- kickass prose that can cause a reader to reshape the world so that she see what your characters see, and feels what they feel, and not only cries when they fall, but rejoices when they get back up and overcome.

    That is what I expect from you.
    Okay, that and an autographed copy when I stand in line and ask you nicely to sign my book.


    roprap - sounds like something Scooby Doo would say. Not sure what it means, but I'm sure any dog could translate.

    ReplyDelete