Sunday, March 22, 2009

Family

Families are the foundations on which we all grow. Embrace them, reject them; there's no getting away from their influence.

Bracken has turned his back on his family. Kelli has been ripped from hers.
He grew up surrounded by family at every turn, beneath every leaf, inside every tree. His entire life was practically incestuous.

Kelli, on the other hand, was adopted when she was three years old. She has a dim recollection of the petite, accented brunette who ruled her life with love and precision. After her mother's death, Kelli lost everything that was familiar. Including her name.

I'm stuck while I try to find the right name that is completely Icelandic, sounds nothing like Kelli and yet suits her.

Suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I have a few Icelandic women's names for you but my favorite is Arnkatla. Here are the others:

    Gudrun, Kristinn, Hulda, Amora, Gunnilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe an icelandic word that means solitude, sorrow, or something along that route?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 AM

    http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ice.php

    link to a web site of names of every possible nationality, with meanings. I use it a lot in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Hmmm, that link just showed me that Bjork means birch tree. Who knew? Well, Bjork knew, probably.

    ReplyDelete