Monday, February 18, 2008

Muses

Music is my muse.

I load up the CD player, yes I am that arcane, with music that either my characters listen to or are inspired by. The lead singer of The Tea Party supplied me with the hero's overall look in Heaven Coming Down. I was fortunate to have a one-on-one conversation with him in which we realized we drew our inspiration from similar sources. It seemed fitting to write the entire book to his music.

I've written to salsa, blues, metal rock and country. They've all been instrumental in flicking the switch in my brain to CREATE mode.

Part of the challenge with this project has been the lack of musical identity for Alex. It's not that big a deal though. Nea's music is definitive and strong. It's angry, loud and sums her up. Alex listens to instrumental. It's his music I hear every night before I go to sleep. Fitting as that's when I do most of my pre-writing. Nea may be Queen of the Night but Alex is at heart a dreamer. It's an interesting contrast to listen to their music.

Who or what is your muse?

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't really thought about it. I suppose music is one of my muses. It certainly is a huge factor in the storytelling.

    But right now, Conn is my muse. You can see him at Could Be A Blog -- which I'm beginning to think is a dumb name for a blog. Dumb, dumb, dumb. But, it's February, and I could be having a moment. ;-)

    I digress. Conn is in the right top corner, pointing his finger at me, or any other writer who strolls by. I really like Conn.

    What kind of instrumental music is Alex into, Miss Keziah?

    ReplyDelete