Saturday, November 25, 2006

Voice

Jennifer Talty wrote a good piece about writer's voice on her blog. While it's true that many writers struggle to find the writing style that sets them apart from other writers, I think the bigger problem is that people try too hard to sound different. Every single person who writes to me, whether it's a note, letter or email sounds exactly the same on paper as they do in person. They're not worried about their "voice", they're simply using it. Instead of spending too much searching for the right feel, the right rhythm, the right combination of words, be yourself. If you're light and airy, write that way. Don't try to be something you're not. Be yourself. It's as true in writing as in life. It's the best way to be successful at what you do.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 PM

    I think that's why I love blogging so much. I am true to who I am and what I am thinking at any given moment - warts and all. I don't try to sound smarter, and I can confess my stupidity (see my post about thedropping cutting board on foot for further evidence) without worrying that people are going to judge me.

    As Popeye said, "I yam what I yam"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that. I was re-reading my NaNo work and thinking that my characters sound like me. I have been writing them using words and expressions I use and thought that I should be changing that in editing. I don't know if being "the meat and potatoes" type romance writer is good enough.

    Your esp is working overtime on me. It seems you write something that is exactly what I have been thinking about. Pretty good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete